Monday, June 1, 2009

A day of rest and reflection

Yesterday was the first day of the program with no scheduled events, and many of us took advantage of the free time to get some chores and schoolwork done. As we grow accustomed to Singapore's public transportation system, many of us are exploring the city in progressively smaller groups. This was especially noticeable yesterday: one group ventured into Little India, another made a trip to the National Library, and Allison, Elizabeth, and I opted to take a dip in the NUS swimming pool. We returned to Prince George's Park Residences and went out to eat at what we thought was Holland Village. We accidentally got off at the wrong bus stop and ended up wandering into a hawker stand off the beaten path, which was quite an experience.

Class resumed this morning, and we're starting to really get into the immigration issue and the history of modern Singapore. The connections between the political theory surrounding immigration and the history of the region are becoming increasingly clear as we take the time to ask international students about their views on Singapore and immigration.

After lunch, several of us made a trip to Little India, one of the few ethnic neighborhoods remaining in Singapore.



The break in constant activity has given me an opportunity to stop and reflect on everything I've seen in the past six days. Many things are different in Singapore, including the education system, public housing, and the use of the metric system. However, from talking with NUS students, I realize that the hopes and dreams of my generation seem to be fairly constant. My time and experiences in Singapore have helped me redefine myself as an American and young adult, and I am excited to see what else I will learn about myself and the world in the remaining seven weeks!

- Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment