Friday, July 24, 2009

The Heat was Sweltering, The Insects Were Huge, and I Loved Every Moment.

Upon arriving home I’ve encountered the numerous expected inquiries about my summer. “What was the best part of your trip?” “What did you learn the most about?” “What was it like?” etc. etc. How one begins to accurately and articulately describe the last eight weeks they’ve spent on the opposite side of the planet, is beyond me. When trying to respond, I remember the first day of our class on immigration migration. There were twenty-seven of us seated in a circle, including Dr. Steiner and graduate student, Reed Wood. Nothing for me had really changed since the orientation to this program. I was still fairly shy; still struggling to remember all of the names of my twenty-four peers; and still questioning why I was chosen along with these students to sit where I was sitting at that moment: in Singapore, that small island I knew so little about thousands of miles away from my home.
The one part of that day that sticks with me is our professor’s introductory speech to the course. Not really the entire speech itself, just a piece. “I am not here to be your chaperone. I am not here to babysit. I am here to help foster your intellectual development.” This is the response I’d like to give to anyone who has asked me how my summer has been; how exploring a fraction of the continent of Asia was. My mind has been expanded and my intellect is surely developing.
Honestly speaking, after this summer, I am a better thinker.
Most people think of the other side of the planet as such a strange and different place than we are used to. There is no doubt that Western media tends to exoticize the culture of the east; usually by portraying ourselves as progressive, and the east as “traditional.” During only the first few days of our stay in Southeast Asia it was clear that this representation was inaccurate. Throughout the summer it was emphasized just how much the mindsets of Singaporean and Thai citizens were shaped by the culture that surrounds them. However, in recognizing this, I’ve realized how the same goes for me and the American culture that surrounds my peers and me. This adventure has solidified how observing other cultures causes one to reflect and better understand their own; due to this summer my peers and I have become more culturally aware.
Talking with locals in Singapore and Thailand was the greatest teller of what made these cultures, and its people beautiful. From the chatter of Singlish to the detail of a smile across a Thai student’s face, there is no ignoring the uniqueness of these countries and their people. Amongst all of our cultural differences, the Singaporeans and Thai, and Francis too, have accepted us and our curiosity.Our great friend Yong during our Homestay.

On a lighter note, I also will not forget my SEAS family; MUIC and NUS students and faculty, Reed Wood, and the Steiner family included. It has been a pleasure to have lived and traveled with you for these past eight weeks. Not only has the region of Southeast Asia broadened my horizons, but this truly bright and kind-hearted group has greatly enhanced my experience here, which I didn’t think was possible.
Trip to AyutthayaBike trails in Malaysia!

All I can say is thank you to the region of Southeast Asia for allowing us young Americans a quick peek. Thank you for allowing us time with your most generous of members. Thank you for our long sweaty bicycle rides. Thank you for our new familiarity with squatters. Thank you for your flavorful meals. Thank you for your golden Buddhas that towered over us. Thank you for your children by the border. Thank you for your plentiful and vibrant gardens. Thank you for cooking classes. Thank you for your waterfalls. Thank you for your boats and skyscrapers. Thank you for letting us haggle in your markets, no matter how successful we were. Thank you for letting us touch your ruins. Thank you for your welcomes and farewells. Thank you for allowing us into your homes.Sweets in Little India.


Thank you SEAS ’09, for a beautiful and certainly unforgettable summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment